Diploma of Media Studies
MoHE approval code: JPT/BPP(N/213/4/0374) 05/27
|Intake||October (2022) / March & July (2023)
|Duration||2 Years – Full time (6 trimester)|
The course aims to train students for media and communication roles, develop their critical thinking skills and practical work which models industry practices. It introduces students to the areas of web media, journalism and screen communication. The course also provides students a pathway to continue their studies to a degree level.
Students who successfully complete the Diploma of Media Studies program will be eligible for admission to the Bachelor of Communication at Curtin Malaysia, with advanced standing of a maximum 200 credits.
A graduate of this course can:
- Evaluate and apply theoretical frameworks to the fields of media and communication.
- Develop effective communication and practical skills necessary for content creations, films, journalism, digital competence and media literacy.
- Utilise knowledge and skills in media and communication to engage with the complexity of global conditions, as well as the social, cultural, political, economic and technological shifts around media.
- Demonstrate an understanding of cultural diversity, respect for all cultures in their community and professional practice.
- Use realistic and analytical approaches to research, problem-solving and practice.
- Demonstrate entrepreneurial awareness, critical thinking and engagement in lifelong learning.
Year 1 of the diploma program contains four English language enabling units and foundation areas of media and communication, journalism, visual culture and screen production.
In Year 2, students will expand skills and knowledge in the area web and screen communication, media and journalism.
Towards the end of the program, through the industrial training students will gain the practical skills and experience they need to be confident and industry-ready when they graduate.
|Malaysian SPM||3 Credits including English|
|STPM||Grade C (GP2.0) in any subject|
|GCE ‘O’ Level||3 Credits including English|
|UEC||B4 in 3 relevant academic subjects including English|
Minimum English language entry requirements
Language Testing System
(all bands min 5.0)
|Test of English as a
Foreign Language (TOEFL)
|IGCSE/GCE ‘O’ Level||C|
|MUET||Band 3 (min aggregate 140)|
Year 1 Trimester 1
- Academic Writing Skills
- Effective Communication Skills
- Introduction to Digital Technologies and Design
- Introduction to Media and Communication Studies
Year 1 Trimester 2
- Introduction to Research Projects
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Introduction To Visual Culture
- Introduction to Screen Production
Year 1 Trimester 3
- Introduction to Journalism
- Travel Writing and Photography
Year 2 Trimester 1
- Academic and Professional Communications
- Engaging Media
- Introduction to Screen Industries
- Introduction to Journalism – Broadcast
Year 2 Trimester 2
- Introduction to Journalism – Writing
- Culture to Cultures
- Web Communications
- Introduction to Screen Creativity
Year 2 Trimester 3
- Industrial Training (minimum 12 weeks)