Postgraduate by Coursework Degrees
Graduate certificate courses are designed to develop skills in a specialised area that may or may not be directly related to that of your undergraduate degree. Some graduate certificates are specifically designed for non-graduates and allow you to progress towards further postgraduate study. All of the programmes are career oriented, and usually take one trimester full-time or equivalent part-time.
Graduate diplomas are specialised, vocationally oriented awards. Entry is normally based on completion of a bachelor degree, although this can be in an unrelated field if you have work experience in the field of study.
Graduate diplomas introduce graduates from disciplines outside of their chosen higher degree to postgraduate studies. Less academically qualified applicants may still apply. Graduate diplomas are usually completed in two trimester full-time or equivalent part-time.
A faculty may accept you into a master degree provided that you hold appropriate qualifications as decided by the head of faculty. Mature-age students who do not have formal entry qualifications may still qualify for admission to the master programme. A master degree is usually completed in one year on a trimester or semester basis, unless Credit for Recognised Learning (CRL) is awarded as a result of other relevant studies. Some master degrees also have a work experience component.
Faculty of Humanities
Master of Policy Sciences JPT/BPP(R/313/7/0023) 04/21
- Graduate Certificate in Project Management JPT/BPP(R2/345/7/0394) 07/23
- Graduate Diploma in Project Management JPT/BPP(R2/345/7/0395) 07/23
- Master of Science (Project Management) JPT/BPP(R2/345/7/0396) 07/23
Faculty of Business
- Master of Commerce (Marketing) JPT/BPP(N/342/7/0208) 07/25
- Master of International Business JPT/BPP(N/345/7/1079) 07/23
Faculty of Engineering and Science
- Master of Engineering Science (Electrical Engineering) JPT/BPP(R/522/7/0062) 04/21
- Master of Petroleum Engineering JPT/BPP(N/524/7/0047) 12/19
Postgraduate by Research
MASTER OF PHILOSOPHY (also called Master by Research)
A Master of Philosophy degree is awarded for a thesis or a combination of a thesis and coursework in which the coursework component does not exceed one third of the degree or master programme. The award indicates that the thesis, in the opinion of the examiners, constitutes a substantial original contribution to the knowledge or understanding of a field of study and demonstrates the capacity of the candidate to conceive, design and carry to completion independent research.
A candidate may enrol in a degree or master programme either full-time or part-time. Enrolment is usually for a minimum of one year and a maximum of two years of equivalent full-time study.
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
A doctoral degree is awarded for a thesis or a combination of a thesis and coursework in which the coursework component does not exceed one third of the doctoral degree programme. The award indicates that the thesis, in the opinion of the examiners, constitutes a substantial original contribution to the knowledge or understanding of a field of study and demonstrates the capacity of the candidate to conceive, design and carry to completion independent research. The doctoral candidate should uncover new knowledge either by the discovery of new facts, the formation of theories, or the innovative re-interpretation of known data and established ideas.
A candidate may enrol in a Doctoral degree either full-time or part-time. Enrolment in the degree is usually for a minimum of two years and a maximum of four years of equivalent full-time study.
Master of Philosophy (Engineering):
- Electrical and Computer Engineering JPT/BPP(R/523/7/0250) 11/19
- Mechanical Engineering JPT/BPP(R/521/7/0110) 11/19
- Civil Engineering JPT/BPP(R/526/7/0101) 11/19
- Chemical Engineering JPT/BPP(R/524/7/0050) 11/19
- Geology JPT/BPP(R/443/7/0025) 22/19
- Petroleum Engineering JPT/BPP(N/524/7/0078) 5/23
Master of Philosophy (Business):
- Accounting JPT/BPP(R/344/7/0150) 03/23
- Economics and Finance JPT/BPP(R/314/7/0012) 03/23
- Management JPT/BPP(R/345/7/0697) 03/23
Master of Philosophy (Humanities):
- Media, Culture & Creative Arts JPT/BPP(N/210/7/0021)07/21
- Engineering & Science JPT/BPP(R/520/8/0054)07/19
- Environmental Science JPT/BPP(N/422/8/0017) 06/22
- Business JPT/BPP(R2/340/8/0672) 11/24